Media Backgrounder

A child with a magnifying glass

Mississauga, ON - PLASP Child Care Services is a not-for-profit, community-based organization committed to providing high-quality child care and early learning that is accessible and affordable. PLASP operates Before and After School programs in over 210 elementary schools located throughout Peel and in Toronto, including over 210 schools for children from 6 to 12 years of age, over 190 schools for children 4 and 5 years of age, and 24 Early Learning and Child Care Centres located in Mississauga and Brampton. Where there is sufficient need, PLASP provides year-round care for school age children by providing programs during P.A. days, the winter holidays, March break and summer, at selected locations. 

Established in 1975, PLASP developed from a need in the community identified by the Social Planning Council of Peel, through a Local Initiatives Project Grant. This need was addressed by a multi-agency planning and management committee which consisted of the Peel District School Board; the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board; the Region of Peel, Social Services Department; the City of Mississauga, Recreation and Parks Department; the City of Brampton, Parks and Recreation Department; the Peel Region YMCA-YWCA and the Social Planning Council of Peel. PLASP opened its first After School programs in Floradale P.S. and Lakeview Beach P.S. in Mississauga, as well as Hanover P.S. in Brampton.

Demand quickly grew enabling PLASP to become self-supporting by 1978, offering the programs on a fee-for-service basis. By 1980, PLASP was incorporated as a not-for-profit organization with charitable status.

Throughout the years, PLASP has continued to grow and provide high quality child care to children up to 12 years of age. Services increased to offer Before School, Lunch and P.A. Day Programs, in addition to After School. In 1988, PLASP opened its first child care centre. Today PLASP operates 24 Early Learning and Child Care Centres, 21 provide care to children 2½ to 5 years of age and three provide care to children starting at six weeks old.

The organization continues to be primarily self-supporting with 80% of its operating costs covered by program fees. The remaining 20% is covered by the Regional Municipality of Peel grants and subsidies.

PLASP has achieved community recognition as a provider of high-quality care for children. Annually PLASP provides services to over 15,000 children from more than 11,000 families. PLASP has enjoyed the support and endorsement of both the Peel District School Board, the Dufferin-Peel Catholic School Board, the Toronto District School Board and the Toronto Catholic District School Board for the past 40 years.

PLASP is governed by a Board of Directors, the majority of whom are current or past parents of children in the programs.

Tawny Barratt
Communications Coordinator
By phone: 905-890-1711 x 136
By E-mail:

Search For Care
Search By
6 weeks to 5 years

Grades 1 to 6

Raising the Bar
Winner of the 2016 Readers' Choice Awards
95% Parent Level of Satisfaction for 2016/2017
2016 Business Excellence Award for Mentoring